Since Snow Leopard broke GPGMail I started to use Mutt, and I wanted to use lbdb to be able to search my Os X Address Book for contacts. With Snow Leopard also comes a new Xcode release, version 3.2, and that made some problems when trying to build ABQuery in lbdb-0.36. One of the users at MacPorts made a patch, but since I don’t use MacPorts (I tend to build from source) I applied the patch to the source myself. I have not found this elsewhere, so I thought I might as well make it available for download.

Continue Reading

It’s been a while since I’ve done anything useful with Python, but just the other day I felt a sudden urge to pick it up again. I needed to get my old development environment with PyQt4 and Pydev up and running. I downloaded the latest version of Sip and PyQt from Riverbank, Qt (the mac-cocoa package) from Nokia and went through a straight forward install. After checking that I could import QtCore and QtGui in Idle, I installed the latest version of Pydev in Eclipse and opened one of my old projects…. Python crashed with the following error ‘Python quit unexpectedly while using the Qt.so plug-in’ and my project was filled with unresolved import errors. I thought that I had run into some 32- vs 64 bit issues, and started to build everything from source. I went through the whole install process several times building different versions of Qt from source and switching back and forth between 32 and 64 bit installs and Python versions, but no avail. After some late night Googling I found a post at Pydev’s tracker on Sourceforge suggesting to turn off code analysis in Pydev, due to a bug in PyQt4(I think). With code analysis off everything worked. I am not sure if it’s only because of the code analysis setting, or if it’s a mix of that and the versions of Qt, PyQt and Python I just happened to be running at the time. I have put together a list of what I installed and how. If you already have everything installed, but with different versions of the software, try and turn off code analysis. If that doesn’t help maybe this setup will. If you have some more info regarding these issues, please leave a comment.

Continue Reading

Since it doesn’t look like I’ll manage to take this project any further in any near future I have decided make the source code available for download. There has not been any changes to the code base since late July.
The program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful. You can read more about RaopX and download the source code from here. Hope you like it.

After several days of trying and failing miserably in every attempt of removing RaopX’s need of a temporary audio file to stream from I got fed up and had to work at something else for a while. I got my mind tuned in on Zero Conf or Bonjour as Apple calls it. I used a few nights to write a small Zero Conf module and had it implemented into the project this afternoon. So, as of version 0.0.4 RaopX now supports Zero Conf and because of that no longer needs any input parameters at startup. The Zero Conf module will search for any airtunes capable devices on the network and if it finds more than one present them as a menu. If only one devices is found it will just connect without any questions. The location of the temporary file is now hardcoded, and if RaopX is terminated in an ordinary fashion the file also gets deleted. If for some reason the file exists at startup it will be removed before recreated to save storage.

Here is a screenshot showing RaopX 0.0.4:
raopxzeroconf